How to Use Inbound Marketing to Get Targeted Website Traffic

February 18, 2015 / by Chris Vande Lune

Content is Key to Inbound Marketing.178163372_content_marketing

The primary reason that creating remarkable content is so essential to inbound marketing is that you are trying to create content that is relevant and helpful to your target audience. Instead of being pushy and interrupting them, you want to naturally attract people who have a need or want that your content can address – resulting in highly targeted website traffic. Following are the methods you should use to create fascinating, remarkable content.

 

The Nuts and Bolts

Content Basics

When creating your content, you should start by discussing relevant issues in general, and not your product or solution. For example, if your business sells cleaning products, by discussing kitchen cleaning tips in general you can attract the right audience and provide valuable knowledge at the same time. As consumers become more aware of the issues you are discussing, you can start to talk more about solutions (i.e. types of kitchen cleaning products). As consumers move through the buyer’s journey from awareness to consideration to the decision stage, you can finally talk about your product directly and compare it to competitor’s offerings. The natural flow of this process allows your business to be helpful and engage your target audience. With remarkable content, you will attract your targeted audience naturally and build credibility.

Research

Creating remarkable content to get targeted website traffic includes knowing your buyer personas and which stage in the buyer’s journey you are targeting. This knowledge will help you to know who your market is and what they are interested in, and will bring the website visitors that you are looking for. A few ways to identify topics to write about include:

  • Keyword Research
  • Internet Forums
  • Industry News
  • Your buyer persona’s goals and challenges

Content Golden Rule

Following the Content Golden Rule is always a good idea. This rule states that you want 80% of your marketing content to be helpful and designed to answer questions your audience may have, and not specifically about your product or solution. This would include blogs, eBooks, how-to guides, and more. The other 20% should be sales related and specifically mention your products and solutions. Something to keep in mind when directly talking about your products or services is to talk benefits and not features. Your message will be more effective when you point out the primary value that your product brings. In other words, focus on what your audience gets more than what you offer

Getting It Out There

After you have your content written, it is good to set up a system to organize a continual flow of good content to be published often. This will help to draw in your target audience and improve search engine optimization results (how high you rank on Google). As you create, it is just as important to distribute. This can be done through:

  • Website Pages
  • Blogs
  • Social Media
  • Landing Pages
  • Email Marketing

You want to be intentional not only in your content and distribution, but timing as well. If you show up in the right channels at the right time, your content will reach your targeted audience and be the most helpful.

What Works Best?

Lastly, analyze everything. See what is working, what isn’t working, and optimize based on your results. This is where using a helpful tool like Hubspot can allow you to see everything in one place and make the analysis process easier.

Based on these methods, you now have a system of creating remarkable content that is helpful and will attract your targeted website traffic. Keep it up, and over time this can really pay off as part of an overall inbound marketing strategy. To learn more about the power of inbound marketing, download the free ebook Supercharge Your Business below.

 Supercharger Your Business Skyrocket your profits

Since 2002, Half a Bubble Out has been dedicated to providing marketing, advertising and small business consulting that meet the needs of our clients. We specialize in powerfully telling stories through Inbound Marketing to grow your business filled with more passion and provision. Based in Chico California, we serve clients throughout Northern California and across the country to New York.  

Topics: Inbound Marketing, Content Marketing

Join Our Blog For FREE Marketing Tips:

10 Powerful Charts CTA
Supercharge your business CTA
Guide to Internet Marketing

Latest Posts